Asian Writers

June is dedicated to authors with ASIAN ORIGIN....review of books in this category will be posted all month....

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express (A Hercule Poirot Mystery) 

Story in brief:  Hercule Poirot is one of the passengers of the famous Orient Express, after returning from Turkey having completed a secret project. On the first night in the train, an American man, whose compartment is next to Poirot, is murdered - stabbed 12 times - and the murderer disappears in thin air. But the plan derails, as every good one does, due to a snow storm that forces the train to halt. The murderer is one of the members of the coach, and Hercule Poirot gears up to solve this mysterious crime.
***

I have read oh-so-many Christie novels, more than I care to remember. I am not really fond of her writings that much, yet I had read a lot of them during school days. So after ages and ages, I came across this one and given the mind boggling positive feedback how could I ignore this one?

However it turns out that I am in the minority....because I really can't bring myself to give anything more than two stars that too quite halfheartedly. The final conclusion, and without giving much away, is BIZARRE and expects the reader to be so naive and gullible as to accept the whole yarn about the motive and the way it was perpetrated, without even batting an eye. After reading Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep", the contrast between Poirot and Marlowe is even more striking. The former is a "thinking" investigator and Marlowe is a sleuth more akin to the real thing, where a combination of physical prowess and sharp deductive faculties is required.

This is perhaps not the best of her works, not in my opinion, books like the Murder of Roger Ackroyd, And Then There Were None, are some really good suspense filled books. I think I may be past the age where I can enjoy her books now.

I believe literary creativity esp. for this genre, should be within the realms of reality. This one for me was far-fetched and just didn't work out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment