Asian Writers

June is dedicated to authors with ASIAN ORIGIN....review of books in this category will be posted all month....

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Raspberry Jam


This one is an oldie published way back in the 1920s.


I was browsing through feedbooks, when I came across this book with its unusual name. coupled with the fact that it was free was the alluring aspect that this one was a mystery/detective novel.

Since I was looking for something light to read, I downloaded it and was soon lost in its pages....


What is the book about:

The book is a classic murder mystery - a rich man has been murdered and there is an obvious suspect i.e. his wife, with whom he has frequent and quite heated quarrels related to money. So she is the obvious suspect. And obviously, she is not the murderer though all circumstantial evidence point to it. She has an Aunt who lives with her, an old lady inclined to the mystic world of seances and telepathy, who claims to have seen the dead man's soul in all its five senses. And that is the point from where the story actually picks up.


What I liked:

Its a simple book, the smart detective and his weird assistant not showing up till the very end of the chapter, which is quite unusual for a detective book. But at no point does the suspense lag and one is kept guessing about who the suspect could be and the importance of the "Raspberry Jam"

A quick, light read it was a welcome change after the Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie series.

What I didn't like:

The start of the book is quite a drag and its only after a few chapters that the murder happens and things lift up and the action begins. Till then, I did suppress a yawn or two, specially since the english was a tad old fashioned. I know, I cant blame the author, it was written in the 20s after all...

I think one thing that the author missed throwing light on was how the means of murder was procured after having devoted some pages on it. Which was kind of strange. Also, the person who was used to murder didnt, in my opinion, have enough of an incentive to kill - I mean yes, money is a big incentive, but at the risk of giving away the suspense, if you are famous and doing well, is money really an incentive?



No comments:

Post a Comment