Asian Writers

June is dedicated to authors with ASIAN ORIGIN....review of books in this category will be posted all month....

Friday, October 5, 2012

Banned Book Week 2012

This week is the "Banned Book Week" - the 30th Anniversary for it...... and I heard it the first time in my life!

I saw it first from a mailer from one of the groups I am a member of on GoodReads and later on a post in Facebook to an article that is quite funny as it captures the responses of famous authors on their books being banned. [Read it]

And call it coincidence, the book that I am reading this week is one of the most famous banned books of the century. Actually its a very famous book, banned or not banned -To Kill a Mocking Bird [I actually picked it up for the letter "K" for my challenge]

So my thought turned to the question - How many banned books have I read?

Apparently not that many. But here's my top 5 list and I have tried to rank it based on my liking the book.

1. Catch-22 
[ As i type the name I want to re-read this book again, but my copy is in tatters :-( I will have to buy a new one]

2. To Kill a Mocking Bird
[Re-reading this one now after a long time and am liking it all over again]

3. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn [my childhood favorites]
4. 1984 
[read it a really long time ago so although I remember being overwhelmed, I dont recollect it in great detail]
5. Gone with the Wind
[Had mixed feelings about this book. It was darn long one and somehow I found the movie more exciting.]


To know about books that are banned in INDIA [read this]. Its quite interesting actually.

Next year, perhaps I will come up with a new list after having read a few more of them. If you want to read some of the FREE banned books as eBooks [Go here]

 


No comments:

Post a Comment