Asian Writers

June is dedicated to authors with ASIAN ORIGIN....review of books in this category will be posted all month....

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Want some Whackiness? You got it....!

Book - Roald Dahl, Best Of

* * *

After a long long time, I finally get to read some really good short stories which when they claim have a "twisted" end, they indeed do unlike some ahem Mr Archer...



What the book is about
Its a collection of Roald Dahl's finest [A presumption some may say for I have heard about them - yes, seen them - yes read them - no] short stories that promise to end in a convoluted and sinister way and happily enough live up to that claim [unlike you know who...]

What I liked
The stories are great, each one completely different from the previous one and the ending is superb for most of them [at least 80%] which leave you wondering and guessing of the plight of the victims...it was a treat for a change
The English is British, which I have no problems with, a tad old fashioned and not very contemporary, which again I have no problems with - after all my most favorite books are classics so...The author does a wonderful job in etching out the characters and their idiosyncrasies and builds up the plot in an admirable way and many times I was on the edge of my seat [literally] wondering what will happen in the end...if an author can keep me that hooked, kudos to him!

What I didnt like
Umm....difficult to say, the first story was the most disappointing for me, I didn't understand it and I am glad I didnt leave the book after the first one, else I would have only myself to blame...
As you can see I am finding it hard to list the -ves [for a change] so the logical answer would be there isnt anything I didnt like...I enjoyed the book

No comments:

Post a Comment