Asian Writers

June is dedicated to authors with ASIAN ORIGIN....review of books in this category will be posted all month....

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bhagavad Gita To be Banned?


“In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmological philosophy of the Bhagavad Gita , in comparison with which our modern world and its literature seem puny and trivial” – Henry David Thoreu

I came across a news article today in the Economic Times (India) which published the news that the Bhagavad Gita (An Indian religious book equivalent to the Bible) is all set to be banned in Russia for fuelling “extremism and hatred”.


The Gita, as it is also known, is essentially a conversation between Lord Krishna and his favorite student/devotee Arjun before they go for the war (Mahabharat fought between Pandavas and Kauravas) and has been split into 700 verses (18 Chapters). The Lord Krishna gives a discourse on different subjects that plague the common mind and answers to which lead to self realization and relationship with God.

The conversations are in the form of verses in Sanskrit language, which I am not proud to say I don’t understand, and for the obtuse minds like me, there is an explanation that follows if you buy the English copy like the one I have.

I have never read the Gita, but I have heard it many times, [growing up with my granddad I would hear him chant the verses every morning religiously, which I am sure an experience many Indian children will share], chanted some of the verses in the morning prayer at high school [in school I was in a Convent so it was more of Christianity..], and also attended an ISKON gathering in Bay Area where the teacher (an American who spoke fluent Sanskrit I am ashamed to say) and his regular students (which also had a lot of fluent Sanskrit/Hindi speaking foreigners, ahem..) were discussing one of the verses and I happened to be present because one of my senior team member dragged me there with the lure of good food at the end of the session [yeah I know what you are thinking…].

So, seeing this article today was actually a surprise if not a complete shock. Unlike other religious books which do have content that are fascist and extremist, the Bhagavad Gita is quite a passive book so the thought process behind banning this book cannot be what is being told in the papers for sure.

But then with people like me and my generation and the next...who have never gotten around reading this book the question that comes to my mind is if the book will be lost into the oblivion eventually – with or without the ban?

2 comments:

  1. The issue here is not about believing or respecting a particular religion. In my view, all religions are illogical but banning any religious book such as the Gita is apalling! A person has as much of a right to read the Bible, Kuran or Gita or any book trashing religions.

    The issue is about people having the right to read, discuss and propagate whatever belief or faith that they belong to, in a country which claims to be a secular democracy! And Russia is a self professed democratic country. A banning of religious non-Is1amic texts in a country like Saudi Arabia or Iran or any particular religious texts in North Korea or China would not be a surprise, as they are all TOTALITARIAN regimes!

    The Russians have to walk the talk when they talk about being a full fledged democracy and a long time ally of India!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like people, I dont think you can take any claims on "ally/friend" at face value - it all depends on the situation.

    I agree to a great extent with your view that people should have the right to read, write et all what they want when they want and wherever they want, I am all for that...they should have that freedom as long as it does not lead to fuelling of any untoward incidents, in that case restrictions may need to be enforced.

    BUT, the Gita hardly qualifies as one! and why now all of a sudden is this being done is what is very surprising..

    ReplyDelete